David Witt is an artist living and working in Saint Paul, Minnesota. His work as a poster artist has been published in the Art of Modern Rock by Paul Grushkin and Dennis King, and Gig Posters by Clayton Hayes. He has done menu screen art for Guitar Hero II, as well as creating numerous T-shirt designs and album art for bands around the world. He continues to work freelance and also finds time to paint and participate in art shows around the country. In the summer he spends most of his time in his garden. His work at Lerner includes Isis and Osiris, The Hero Twins, Nightmare on Zombie Island, Captured by Pirates, and Attack of the Mutant Meteors.
What was your favorite book when you were a child?
Any book with lots of pictures I liked to look at. I also really loved the choose-your-own-adventure style books.
What’s your favorite line from a book?
Here’s a current one, though I’m not sure where it’s located in Shakespeare’s opus, but its from a play undoubtedly and it’s, “Appetite, a universal wolf.”
Who are your top three favorite authors or illustrators?
Will Eisner, Jack Kirby, John Kricfalusi
Why did you want to become an author or illustrator?
I have always felt compelled to tell stories and I was encouraged to do it.
Do you have any advice for future authors or illustrators?
Love what you do, or it’s not worth your time.
- Nightmare on Zombie Island: Book 5
- Attack of the Mutant Meteors: Book 14
- Captured by Pirates: Book 1
- The Hero Twins: Against the Lords of Death [A Mayan Myth]
- Isis & Osiris: To the Ends of the Earth [An Egyptian Myth]
- Tricky Raven Tales: Book 4
- The Smoking Mountain: The Story of Popocatépetl and Iztaccíhuatl [An Aztec Legend]
- Isis y Osiris (Isis & Osiris): Hasta el fin del mundo [Un mito egipcio] (To the Ends of the Earth [An Egyptian Myth])