Ron Fontes was born in Los Angeles. He grew up in Clarksville, Tennessee, where his mother taught him to read at age 4. By 16, Ron had a science fiction comic strip in the local newspaper. He was a theater major at Austin Peay State University, where he costumed and performed in many shows while working at a printing company to pay for school. Ron went on to act in film before becoming an advertising executive, and he then moved to New York City and worked for Whitman Comics and Marvel. Ron is a prolific artist and co-author of over 500 children’s books with his wife, Justine.
What was your favorite book when you were a child?
The works of Robert A. Heinlein.
What’s your favorite line from a book?
- "The genius of the Roman Empire was that they convinced the poor to die for the wealth of the rich."—Howard Fast’s SPARTACUS
Who are your top three favorite authors or illustrators?
Robert Heinlein, Rudyard Kipling, J. R. R. Tolkien, Arthur Rackham, Heath Robinson, Howard Pyle.
Why did you want to become an author or illustrator?
I like telling stories.
Do you have any advice for future authors or illustrators?
Keep your day job. Don’t expect to become rich and famous.
- Captured by Pirates: Book 1
- El caballo de Troya (The Trojan Horse): La caída de Troya [Un mito griego] (The Fall of Troy [A Greek Myth])
- Atalanta: The Race against Destiny [A Greek Myth]
- Demeter & Persephone: Spring Held Hostage [A Greek Myth]
- The Fifth Musketeer: Book 19
- Sunjata: Warrior King of Mali [A West African Legend]
- The Trojan Horse: The Fall of Troy [A Greek Myth]