Niki Ahrens lives in San Diego, CA with her spouse, her inquisitive children Edel and Remy, and four pets. She is an outdoor education coordinator, naturalist, and intercultural consultant. Niki works to disrupt inequities by connecting nature and social justice learning experiences. She is likely out birding on a nature walk.
What was your favorite book when you were a child?
Charlotte’s Web by E. B. White
What’s your favorite line from a book?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
—Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Who are your top three favorite authors or illustrators?
bell hooks, Janell Cannon, Paulo Freire
Why did you want to become an author or illustrator?
I want to support children in exploring, wondering about, and connecting with the world that they can remake.
Do you have any advice for future authors or illustrators?
Read and wonder about what matters to you and about perspectives unlike your own. Carefully observe lived stories around you and think about how you want to connect with readers.
- Celebrate with Ariel: Plan a Little Mermaid Party
- Celebrate with Jasmine: Plan an Aladdin Party
- Celebrate with Cinderella: Plan a Royal Party
- Celebrate with Belle: Plan a Beauty and the Beast Party
- Celebrate with Moana: Plan a Wayfinding Party
- Aladdin Idea Lab
- Celebrate with Tiana: Plan a Princess and the Frog Party
- Moana Idea Lab
- Hack Your Backyard: Discover a World of Outside Fun with Science Buddies ®
- Big Hero 6 Idea Lab