Sandy Donovan has written many nonfiction books for young readers.
What was your favorite book when you were a child?
I didn’t have one favorite book, but I loved The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank, and I remember seeking out as many books as I could about kids surviving the Holocaust—it turned out that there were a lot in my school library!
What’s your favorite line from a book?
“The word I spoke in anger weighs less than a parsley seed, but a road runs through it that leads to my grave….” Stanley Kunitz “The Quarrel”
Who are your top three favorite authors or illustrators?
Children’s author: Ezra Jack Keats; young adult author: John Green; older young-ish adult author: J.D. Salinger.
- Job Smarts: How to Find Work or Start a Business, Manage Earnings, and More
- Does It Really Take Seven Years to Digest Swallowed Gum?: And Other Questions You've Always Wanted to Ask
- Does an Apple a Day Keep the Doctor Away?: And Other Questions about Your Health and Body
- Communication Smarts: How to Express Yourself Best in Conversations, Texts, E-mails, and More
- The Middle Eastern American Experience
- The African American Experience
- Did President Grant Really Get a Ticket for Speeding in a Horse-Drawn Carriage?: And Other Questions about U.S. Presidents
- Volunteering Smarts: How to Find Opportunities, Create a Positive Experience, and More
- The Hispanic American Experience
- Keep Your Eye on the Ball: And Other Expressions about Sports