Jeff Limke was born and raised in the wilds of North Dakota. He has spent many a year teaching stories and writing. Jeff now teaches less and tries to write more, which sometimes happens.
What was your favorite book when you were a child?
The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. I know there were others, but this was the first that took me to another place. Soon after, T. H. White would change everything as well, but Tolkien was the first. When I learned of the The Lord of The Rings, as soon as I was able to check it out of the school library, I did!
What’s your favorite line from a book?
“Maycomb was a tired old town.” I love To Kill a Mockingbird and that’s the beginning. It tells so much about the tale that’s about to follow. Such simple wording that sets up the whole atmosphere.
Who are your top three favorite authors or illustrators?
Warren Kremer (best known for drawing Casper the Friendly Ghost and Richie Rich), but my authors change all the time. Right now, I like Bill Bryson and Edgar Rice Burroughs, but tomorrow it’ll be a different answer.
Why did you want to become an author or illustrator?
I knew I wanted to tell stories. I had been doing it since I was a little kid playing make believe, so it seemed like the obvious next step. Now the hard part is making sure the stories live up to the expectations of that little kid.
Do you have any advice for future authors or illustrators?
Read, read, and read. Read about stuff you’re interested in, stuff you thought you weren’t interested in because you’ll find you are now interested in it, and then write, write like authors you admire, write like you talk, write like you think you should talk. Then read, write, and keep on doing it.
- Thor & Loki: In the Land of Giants [A Norse Myth]
- Thor y Loki (Thor & Loki): En la tierra de los gigantes [Un mito escandinavo] (In the Land of Giants [A Norse Myth])
- The Treasure of Mount Fate: Book 4
- Isis & Osiris: To the Ends of the Earth [An Egyptian Myth]
- Theseus: Battling the Minotaur [A Greek Myth]
- Arthur & Lancelot: The Fight for Camelot [An English Legend]
- Jason: Quest for the Golden Fleece [A Greek Myth]
- Tristan & Isolde: The Warrior and the Princess [A British Legend]
- King Arthur: Excalibur Unsheathed [An English Legend]
- Isis y Osiris (Isis & Osiris): Hasta el fin del mundo [Un mito egipcio] (To the Ends of the Earth [An Egyptian Myth])