Stephanie Sammartino McPherson
Stephanie Sammartino McPherson, a former teacher and freelance newspaper writer, enjoys writing about science and the human interest stories behind major discoveries. Stephanie and her husband Richard live in Virginia but also call California home.
What was your favorite book when you were a child?
I had so many favorites, but the one I read over and over was Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.
What’s your favorite line from a book?
- From Kate DiCamillo’s The Tale of Despereaux:: “’Once upon a time,’” he said out loud to the darkness. He said these words because they were the best, the most powerful words that he knew and just the saying of the comforted him.”
Who are your top three favorite authors or illustrators?
It’s hard to draw a limit at three, but I especially enjoy Louise Penny, Maya Angelou, and Kate De Camillo.
Why did you want to become an author or illustrator?
As a child, I loved reading stories so much that I couldn’t bear the thought of not writing them too. The encouragement of my parents and a wonderful professor in college kept me focused on the goal
Do you have any advice for future authors or illustrators?
Cultivate a wide array of interests. Make time to work everyday. Nourish your dream by reading broadly and joyfully.
- Doping in Sports: Winning at Any Cost?
- Political Parties: From Nominations to Victory Celebrations
- Artificial Intelligence: Building Smarter Machines
- Arctic Thaw: Climate Change and the Global Race for Energy Resources
- Sergey Brin and Larry Page: Founders of Google
- Jackie Robinson
- Ordinary Genius: The Story of Albert Einstein
- The Global Refugee Crisis: Fleeing Conflict and Violence
- War of the Currents: Thomas Edison vs Nikola Tesla
- Iceberg, Right Ahead!: The Tragedy of the Titanic