Rebecca Hogue Wojahn
Becky is a school librarian by day and writer by night (well, actually very early mornings). Her natural habitat is the temperate forests of northwestern Wisconsin, where she shares her den with a husband, two animal-loving sons, and two big black dogs. She is the co-author of all twelve books in the Follow That Food Chain series, as well as the biography, Dr. Kate: Angel on Snowshoes.
What was your favorite book when you were a child?
Like most librarians and writers, I love to read. As a kid, I read all the time—walking home from school, while brushing my teeth, under the table at dinnertime, and under the covers at night. So I had lots of favorites. Some of them are: Nancy Drew, A Wrinkle in Time, Anne of Green Gables, The Summer of the Monkeys, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.
What’s your favorite line from a book?
“Isn’t it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive—it’s such an interesting world. It wouldn’t be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There’d be no scope for imagination then, would there?” —Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Who are your top three favorite authors or illustrators?
Only three? Hmm, for today: Chris Van Allsburg, Gordon Korman, and Steve Jenkins.
Why did you want to become an author or illustrator?
I think I’ve always loved stories and telling my own was a natural progression. And I’m fascinated by weird facts about the world around me and I love sharing them with kids.
Do you have any advice for future authors or illustrators?
Read, read, read! And hang out with kids to find out what makes them wrinkle their noses and laugh out loud.
- A Cloud Forest Food Chain: A Who-Eats-What Adventure in Africa
- An Estuary Food Chain: A Who-Eats-What Adventure in North America
- A Desert Food Chain: A Who-Eats-What Adventure in North America
- A Galápagos Island Food Chain: A Who-Eats-What Adventure
- A Coral Reef Food Chain: A Who-Eats-What Adventure in the Caribbean Sea
- A Savanna Food Chain: A Who-Eats-What Adventure in Africa
- A Temperate Forest Food Chain: A Who-Eats-What Adventure in North America
- A Nile River Food Chain: A Who-Eats-What Adventure
- A Mangrove Forest Food Chain: A Who-Eats-What Adventure in Asia
- An Australian Outback Food Chain: A Who-Eats-What Adventure