Former editor Joanne Mattern has written over 350 children’s books, many of which focus on animals and nature. Joanne lives in New York state with her human family and several animals.
What was your favorite book when you were a child?
Probably the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary. I was very much like Ramona in that I was very outspoken and didn’t care much what other people thought of me!
What’s your favorite line from a book?
- "I shall give life here my best, and I believe it shall give its best to me in return."—Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Who are your top three favorite authors or illustrators?
I can’t pick just three; I have many favorites!
Why did you want to become an author or illustrator?
I’ve always enjoyed telling stories. I enjoy writing nonfiction because I get to learn lots of interesting new things and hope to excite readers about all the wonderful and amazing things going on in the world.
Do you have any advice for future authors or illustrators?
Read all you can and expose yourself to information wherever you can find it. Always keep your mind open to new experiences!
- Historic Williamsburg: A Revolutionary City
- Mount Rushmore: Faces of Our History
- The Grand Canyon: This Place Rocks
- Yellowstone: America's First National Park
- Ellis Island: Gateway to America
- The Gateway Arch: Celebrating Western Expansion
- The Liberty Bell: History's Silent Witness
- The Statue of Liberty: A Welcome Gift
- Porcupines and Hedgehogs
- Can Lightning Strike the Same Place Twice?: And Other Questions about Earth, Weather, and the Environment