Martin Goneau has been working as a professional illustrator since 1997. Most of his work is dedicated to children’s books and other educational publications. He lives in Trois-Rivières, Québec.
What was your favorite book when you were a child?
I didn’t really have a favorite book as a child. When I was young, before I started to read, I loved browsing through Disney’s books to look at the pictures of Mickey, Donald Duck, Goofy and others cast in classical stories like Mickey and the Beanstalk, Donald and the Magic Stick, Gulliver, or The Emperor’s New Clothes, to name a few. Later, when I started to read, I loved Sempé’s books for the near wordless storytelling.
What’s your favorite line from a book?
“Don’t Panic!” from Douglas Adam in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
Who are your top three favorite authors or illustrators?
It’s hard to choose only three, but I would go with Frankin, Tardi, and Sempé. Excluding Uderzo, Morris, Moebius, Loisel, Turk, Dupa, Roba…
Why did you want to become an author or illustrator?
It was never really a choice to become an illustrator. I would rather say that it’s illustrating that chose me. Indeed, at school, I was always drawing what my fellow classmates asked me to.
Do you have any advice for future authors or illustrators?
Doing is the best way to succeed.
- Butterfly, Flea, Beetle, and Bee: What Is an Insect?
- Apples, Cherries, Red Raspberries, 2nd Edition: What Is in the Fruit Group?
- Black Beans and Lamb, Poached Eggs and Ham, 2nd Edition: What Is in the Protein Foods Group?
- Sparrow, Eagle, Penguin, and Seagull: What Is a Bird?
- Tortoise, Tree Snake, Gator, and Sea Snake: What Is a Reptile?
- Run and Hike, Play and Bike, 2nd Edition: What Is Physical Activity?
- Bugs That Make Your Computer Crawl: What Are Computer Bugs?
- This Python Isn't a Snake: What Are Coding Languages and Syntax?
- Oils (Just a Bit) to Keep Your Body Fit, 2nd Edition: What Are Oils?
- Oils (Just a Bit) to Keep Your Body Fit: What Are Oils?