Nan Walker is the author of many books for Kane Press. She writes under several pen names and lives with her family in Pennsylvania.
What was your favorite book when you were a child?
The Swiss Family Robinson. Closely followed by the Narnia books, the Betsy-Tacey books, the All-of-a-Kind Family books, the Great Brain books, anything by E. Nesbit, Edward Eager, Noel Streatfeild, Madeleine L’Engle, E. L. Konigsburg, Joan Aiken…I’ll stop now.
What’s your favorite line from a book?
“Where’s Papa going with that axe?” (opening line of Charlotte’s Web). Favorite line from an unpublished story: “Zeus invited himself to the party as a plate of pork.” (Original myth by my third-grader.) Happily, Zeus was unable to trick the human maiden into consuming him, as she was a vegetarian.
Who are your top three favorite authors or illustrators?
Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Anthony Trollope. Or M.C. Beaton, Janet Evanovich, Laurie R. King. Or Eva Ibbotson, Diana Wynne Jones, Neil Gaiman. Or Sara Pennypacker, Jeanne Birdsall, Peggy Gifford. I’ll stop now.
Why did you want to become an author or illustrator?
WORLD DOMINATION! (evil laugh
Do you have any advice for future authors or illustrators?
(1) Start today. (2) Marry rich. (Marrying rich can wait if necessary. I haven’t gotten to it yet myself.)
- Stressbusters: Producers & Consumers
- Otto and the New Girl: Symmetry
- The Yum-Yum House: Finding Unknowns
- Check It Out!: Historical Evidence
- The Bay School Blogger: Spread of Ideas
- The Midnight Kid: Sleep
- Spork Out of Orbit (Book 1): Respect
- Follow That Clue!: Community Helpers
- The Messiest Room on the Planet: Sequencing Events