Human Resources Generalist
Summary: The HR Generalist will be responsible for all aspects of employee relations and will specifically oversee benefit administration, recruiting, hiring, performance management, training and development, and related compliance. The HR Generalist is key to enhancing employee morale and fostering a positive company culture.
As an essential member of our team, the expectation is that you will reside in the Minneapolis area and be available to work in the office at least three days per week.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate monthly and annual company events and facilitate participation and related details.
- In coordination with Wellness Coordinator, direct and coordinate various activities designed to promote well-being and to maintain a high level of employee morale.
- Field employee issues, for example work complaints or harassment allegations.
- Support management in appropriate resolution of employee relations issues.
- Support management in the progressive discipline process. Monitor process.
- Support management through employment termination process. Prepare employee separation paperwork (voluntary and involuntary) and conduct exit meetings to review and discuss any specific reasons which may have led to the separation.
- Maintain familiarity of benefit programs such as life, health, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, time off, leave of absence, and employee assistance, in order to properly support employees.
- Work with benefits brokers to manage bi-annual open enrollment process (November and May).
- Prepare census work required for annual benefits renewal.
Recruitment and Orientation—New Employees
- Initiate and support management regarding recruitment activities including job posts, resumes, candidate, selection, and hiring of all positions.
- Ensure a positive candidate experience by communicating effectively and efficiently throughout the recruiting and onboarding process.
- Meet with newly eligible employees to review benefits to ensure enrollment or waiver in a timely manner.
- Initiate and oversee new hire orientation to foster positive attitude toward company goals.
Performance Review Management and Personnel Records
- Manage performance review program to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and equity within the company.
- Provide coaching and guidance to managers on effective performance management techniques and best practices.
- Analyze performance data to identify trends and areas for improvement, and recommend changes to performance management programs as necessary.
- Maintain necessary personnel documentation for employee files – personnel, benefit, confidential – to include promotions, transfers, wages, performance reviews, disciplinary actions, terminations.
- Provide timely and accurate information to support the bi-weekly payroll.
Worker’s Compensation and Labor Compliance
- Investigate on-site accidents and prepare necessary documentation to comply with laws and insurance policies.
- Maintain personnel policies that comply with State and Federal laws and are consistent with the company mission and core values. Implement changes to comply with required changes.
- Stay informed on government regulations affecting company policies and HR practices through continuing education and required training (licensures encouraged).
- Partner with management to communicate HR policies, procedures, programs, and laws.
- Respond to inquiries regarding policies and procedures.
- Prepare required reports as necessary (examples: bi-annual FSA, EEO/Affirmative Action reporting, non-discrimination testing, OSHA, etc.).
Experience and Necessary Skills:
- Experience in the administration of benefits and other HR programs.
- General knowledge of various employment laws and practices.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to interact well with all levels of employees.
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and HRIS related software.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree, preferably Human Resources specific.
- Minimum five (5) years in Human Resources experience preferred.
Please click here to download a position profile for this role.
It is the policy of Lerner Publishing Group to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, mental or physical disability, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, public assistance, or any other class protected under applicable law. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Please send resumes or any general employment inquires to:
Lerner Publishing Group, Inc.
241 First Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55401
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE